Skillmax - English for Employment


Skillmax – English for Employment


If you hold a degree in overseas tertiary institution and need to improve your English before you enter the Australian job market, Skillmax – English for Employment is a great option. This part-time course is funded by the NSW Government and is fee free for all eligible participants.

What can I learn with EFE?

Over your 150 hour course (10 weeks of 15 hours per week) you will learn:

  • Australian workplace culture
  • formal and informal communication for work
  • skills for telephoning in job-seeking contexts
  • written language skills for job seeking, including resume development and cover letters
  • written language skills for public sector applications
  • techniques for job interviews
  • strategies for workplace training

You will also benefit from an interactive workshop delivered by an HR specialist/trainer and a guest presentation from a recruitment consultant, employer or industry specialist.

How does the program work?

This course is funded by the NSW Government and is delivered in partnership with the NSW Adult Migrant English Service (AMES) and Macquarie Community College.

Classes are carried out over 10 weeks, and include a part-time load of 15 hours per week (please see dates and locations below). The course is delivered and assessed against Module D and E of the Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English 2013 – Employment (CSWE). Upon successful completion, you will be issued with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.

Places are limited and courses run at the following locations and times:

MCC Chatswood
Starts – 20 February 2017
Ends – 13 April 2017

MCC Carlingford
Starts – 27 March 2017
Ends – 16 June 2017

MCC Chatswood
Starts – 26 April 2017
Ends – 16 June 2017

Entry Requirements

You must:

  • be Australian or New Zealand permanent residents or citizens
  • have overseas qualifications
  • be seeking work in your field of expertise
  • have a minimum IELTS score of 5.5 or equivalent (must have been tested within the last two years)

You will need to provide:

  • visa evidence
  • your qualifications (must have English translations)
  • IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) or equivalent

Prior Study

If you have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in an assessable qualification at a university or other post-secondary educational institution where the sole language of instruction was English, you may not be required to undertake a language test. This will depend on an original document, statement or certificate on letterhead confirming this, which has been issued by the registrar (or equivalent) of the institution.